Algerian Prime Minister Abdelmalek Sellal has said that a total of 37 foreign workers died in a hostage crisis at an Algerian desert gas plant and seven are still missing. Sellal also told a news conference that a Canadian had coordinated the attack by Islamists on the site near the Libyan border.An Algerian security source said that documents found on the bodies of two militants had identified them as Canadians. However, Canada's foreign affairs department said it was seeking information, but referred to the possible involvement of only one Canadian.
Sellal said 29 Islamists had been killed in the siege, which Algerian forces ended on Saturday by storming the plant, and three had been captured alive.
American, British, French, Japanese, Norwegian, Filipino and Romanian workers are dead or missing after the attack, for which veteran Islamist fighter Mokhtar Belmokhtar has claimed responsibility on behalf of al Qaeda.